AIM: How does modeling with an experiment help determine the likelihood of each outcome?
Announcements: The end of the 4th marking period is today. Late assignments can no longer be submitted, without special circumstances and prior approval.
HW: What Do You Expect textbook pp. 17-18, #7-8, p.21, #21-23
Kalvin flipped heads 3 out of the first 4 days in a week. Should he expect this trend to continue for the rest of the month? Explain.
Classwork: Kalvin wants to find another way of choosing a cereal every morning that will give him a better chance of eating his favorite cereal than flipping a coin. He needs to create a new experiment that will favor his getting to eat Cocoa Blast more days out of the month. His mother approves of this idea, but will get suspicious if Kalvin is never eating Healthy Nut Flakes.
A. Creating the experiment.
With your group members create an experiment that you will be able to complete 30 times in 5 minutes from the materials in your tub. Before you may begin running your experiment you must write the following in your notes...
1. Describe how your experiment works.
2. Why you believe it will let Kalvin eat Cocoa Blast more than half of the days in June.
3. Which result represents Cocoa Blast and which represents Health Nut Flakes.
B. Running Your Experiment
1. Run your experiment 30 times or for 5 minutes (whichever happens first). Keep a running total of your results by recording them in a table.
2. For the month of June, what fraction of days will Kalvin be eating Cocoa Blast?
3. What percentage of days in June will Kalvin be eating Cocoa Blast?
C. Analyzing the results.
1. Was your experiment successful? If Kalvin uses your experiment will he be eating Cocoa Blast more than half the days?
If your experiment was successful: Describe what about the experiment that you designed made it successful.
If Unsuccessful: How could you change your experiment so that you would get the results that you wanted?
Design and test an experiment that will result in Kalvin getting to eat Cocoa blast more than half of the days in the month of June.
- Playing cards- 5 colored cubes - Three number cubes- Two Index Cards - Plastic Cup- Two Coins
- If you have another idea feel free to use it. Please check ?with me first though.